2018 Immersion Training Series
ArCOP will be kicking off our Webinar Series for 2018 using the Community Tool Box developed by the University of Kansas. A survey was sent out to our Growing Healthy Communities and membership to decide the top module trainings. We are kicking off our first session at the ArCOP Immersion Training. The following Webinar Series dates will be released soon.
Developing Strategic and Action Plans
This training aids in developing a vision, mission, objectives, strategies, and action plan for the effort.
- VMOSA I: Vision, Mission and Objectives
- VMOSA II: Strategies and Action Plans
- Reviewing and Building Consensus on Your Action Plan
- Using Strategic and Action Plans to Guide and Enhance Your Work
- Putting It All Together: Creating Your Strategic and Action Plans
May: Healthy Drinks for Kids Meals
PRESENTER: Hillary Caron with Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI)
Restaurant kids meals are a powerful form of marketing that helps to establish food norms for children, affecting their preferences and lifelong eating patterns. Soda and other sugary beverages are often sold as part of the meal, adding unnecessary calories with little or no nutritional benefit. Several top restaurant chains have dropped sugary beverages from their kids menus, but three quarters of the top chains still push sugary drinks to kids. States and localities are turning to public policy to improve restaurant kids meals in their own communities. This webinar will explore how your community can join this growing movement.
More information and resources can be found on CSPI’s Food Marketing Workgroup website.
Assessing Community Needs and Resources
This training provides guidance for conducting assessments of community needs and resources.
- Understanding and Describing the Community
- Assessing Community Needs
- Identifying Community Assets and Resources
- Conducting Assessments
- Doing a SWOT Analysis: Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, and Threats
- Putting It All Together: Creating a Community Assessment
Writing a Grant Application for Funding
This training supports the work of preparing a successful grant proposal.
- Preparing to Request Funding
- Developing a Budget that Reflects Your Project or Initiative
- Identifying and Communicating with Potential Funders
- Putting It All Together: A Community Grant Application
Increasing Participation and Membership
This toolkit provides guidance for increasing participation and engaging stakeholders in change efforts.
- Identifying and Connecting With Those to be Reached
- Recruiting New Members to the Organization or Effort
- Engaging Community Members in the Effort
- Maintaining Involvement and Sustaining Commitment of Members
- Putting It All Together: Increasing Participation and Membership
Building Leadership & Creating and Maintaining Coalitions and Partnerships
This training helps in developing a plan for enhancing leadership and its core tasks.
- Community Leadership: Some Key Ideas, Styles, and Qualities
- Developing a Plan for Building Leadership
- Collaborative Leadership
- Servant Leadership
- Developing a Great Leadership Team
- Putting It All Together: Creating a Leadership Development Plan
This training provides guidance for creating a partnership among different organizations to address a common goal.
- Working Together for Community and System Changes
- Creating a Community Coalition or Collaborative Partnership
- Maintaining a Community Coalition or Collaborative Partnership
- Putting It All Together: Creating and Maintaining Your New Coalition
Advocating for Change & Developing a Framework or Model of Change
This training supports planning for advocacy efforts and responding to opposition.
- Twenty Guidelines for Effective Advocacy
- Preparing for Advocacy through Research
- Matching Advocacy Tactics with Your Situation and Goals
- Implementing Advocacy Tactics with Allies and Against Opposition
- Putting It All Together: Planning your Advocacy Effort
This training helps in developing a picture of the pathway from activities to intended outcomes.
- Developing a Logic Model
- Intervention Mapping
- Reviewing and Building Consensus on the Framework or Model of Change
- Putting It All Together: Developing Your Framework